Friday, February 15, 2013

Brilliant colors in acrylic art

I often have people come up to me and say "love the brilliant colors how do you get them so bright ?" "Is there a special kind of brand you use ?".I bet some of them go "Ugh! Too bright ."
I love my colors bright and I follow few simple rules .
When picking or choosing colors I make sure that the pigments are pure . Most colors in some student quality acrylic paints and almost all artist quality paints come in variety of shades,tones and tints.

The trick is start with a  basic hue of a color say I wanted to draw a dark pink skirt .I would start with coloring the whole space in crimson red and add several layers o different  shades and hues.I mostly try to stay away from colors with grayish tones.That means muddy looking colors.(By the way tones are created by adding grey to a color and that's where the  ultimate brilliance of your color exists .)So one way of getting bright pictures is to staying as close to original hue as possible.

Second thing that might be helpful to some is when mixing blue to darken the shadows and shades
(As we all know especially while mixing water colors and oils  not to use black to created shades of a color till the very end of nearing the end of art work) always stick to Prussian blue especially for acrylic.Aquamarine blue ,Ultramarine,cobalt blue are great colors on there own .However the results can be undesirable if the purpose is to get depth and perspective as they might produce a murky looking color.


Third thing is "Have a little patience "as all seasoned artist know some times its best to wait till the paint dries.If you keep applying layers of paint  without letting it drying its very likely to mix with paint underneath giving one flat tone.


Another way of creating bright colors is putting two or more hues o similar colors and meeting them with clean colorless brush.


This is all I have for now .Let me know if these tips or techniques work or you.

1 comment: